This policy describes the privacy practices of Gizeyat (a publication of Befekadu LLC) (“Befekadu Media,” “our,” or “we”). It explains how we collect, use, and store information we collect about our readers. This policy covers our privacy practices in connection with Gizeyat newspaper and gizeyat.com (including its mobile site.)
1. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE GATHER ABOUT YOU?
The information we gather falls into two categories:
Personal information is information that identifies you. We collect this information only when you choose to provide it to us. For example, we collect personal information when you subscribe to Gizeyat newspaper, place an order, complete a survey, or sign in to a website or mobile application through a third party tool such as Facebook Connect. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on this website to your profile page to share with others within your network.
Non-personal information is information that our technology collects in aggregate, without identifying you. Non-personal information includes your Internet connection, the device you use to access our digital properties, and tracking data relating to your use of our digital properties.
We gather the following types of information:
Contact & Demographic Information: When you subscribe to Gizeyat newspaper, you will need to provide us with personal information such as your name, address, and email. You may also need to provide some basic demographic information, such as your postal code, birth year, and gender. For registration for promotions, special events, and consumer panels or surveys, we sometimes require additional information, such as your household income, professional industry, and job title.
Billing Information: In order to subscribe, post a classified advertisement, or make a purchase, you must provide your credit card number or other billing information.
Third Party Information: Our sharing tools are an easy way for users of Gizeyat.com to send links to articles, photos and other content. The e-mail address(es) that you supply will only be used to send the requested content. We do not store this information.
Contests, Sweepstakes, and Special Offers: On occasion, we collect personal information from users or subscribers in connection with optional sweepstakes, contests, or special offers. We will not share this information with a third party unless we notify you otherwise at the time of collection. If you do not want us to share any information we collect in connection with such a promotion, you may decline to participate.
Online Customer Panels: We occasionally offer users the opportunity to participate in online research panels. Participants agree to respond to periodic surveys about their usage of Befekadu Media products, their household/personal characteristics and their purchase behavior. Participants are contacted primarily via email, but may also occasionally be contacted by telephone or postal mail (if participants provide that information). All survey data is used in aggregate form only, and no personal information is made public or shared with third-parties. We require that participants provide their email address only; name, home address and telephone number are optional for this purpose
2. HOW DO WE GATHER INFORMATION?
You voluntarily provide information to us. You may choose to provide us with contact, demographic, billing, or other personal information to order Befekadu Media products or take advantage of our services. For example, If you contact Befekadu Media, we may collect information about our interaction with you.
Log files. As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.
We allow third parties to gather information. Some of the services and advertisements on Befekadu Media are operated by third party companies, including service providers, analytics providers, and marketing partners, which may track certain non-personal information about our website users through cookies, web beacons, or other methods. These third-parties are gathering this information for the purpose of understanding how users are using our sites, and making improvements to our site.
– For example, social media features, such as the Facebook “like” button, are operated by third parties. These features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our sites, and may set a cookie to enable the features to function properly. Actions taken through Facebook or other third party services are governed by the privacy policies of the third parties.
– A third party may also collect information about you when you interact with us via your mobile phone. For instance, your wireless carrier enables text messaging and other services, and collects data about your mobile phone usage.
Third parties collect, use, and store information according to their own privacy policies. We do not have control over third party privacy practices. You may contact a third party directly to opt-out of future messages from them.
3. WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION WE GATHER?
Our approach to sharing information with third parties. We do not sell, license, rent, or swap your personal information without your permission, except as set out in this policy or as required by law. We do share non-personal information with third parties.
Specific ways in which we use personal information. We use personal information for the following purposes:
– To provide the products and services you request and communicate with you about those products and services.
– To provide you with updates about major changes to Befekadu Media properties or to discuss your account or renew your subscription.
– To email you information about products and services that may be of interest to you. These product and services may be provided by the Befekadu Media, or our advertisers, partners, or other third parties. You may opt-out at any time from any primarily commercial messages and user surveys by following the opt-out instructions in the email.
– To improve our services and personalize your experience with us.
– To disclose your opt-out information to third parties so they can suppress your name from future solicitations.
We will not use your phone number to initiate a call or text message exchange with you without your express prior consent.
Specific ways in which we use non-personal information. We use non-personal information for the following purposes:
– To analyze statistical, demographic, and marketing information for product development purposes and to understand usage and traffic trends and improve our relationship with you.
– To inform advertisers about the nature of our subscriber base and the number of unique visitors that have viewed a particular ad or visited a particular webpage. We may publish summary information regarding our online visitors for promotional purposes and as a representative audience for advertisers.
– To allow advertisers to customize content. This means users see advertising that is most likely to interest them, and advertisers display their messages to people who are most likely to be receptive, improving both the viewer’s experience and the effectiveness of the ads. For example, in the course of serving certain advertisements, some advertisers may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser in order to collect information about your visits to our websites and other websites. This information could be used to show you ads based on your interests on other websites.
– To gauge the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns.
4. WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE THE INFORMATION WE GATHER?
Service Providers. We contract with service providers to help us with credit card and bill processing, shipping, email distribution, list processing, analytics and promotions management, and ad serving. We provide service providers only with the information they need to perform their services.
– For example, if you are a print subscriber of Gizeyat newspaper, we may share your email address with a service provider that sends emails on our behalf. That service provider may not share your email address or personal information with other companies, and may only send you emails on behalf of Befekadu Media.
– Another example is that we may also engage service providers to track and analyze information about readers’ use of our websites. These service providers may only use this information to track the traffic, usability, performance, and effectiveness of our websites and they may only disclose their findings to Befekadu Media.
Advertisers. We share non-personal information with our advertisers. For example, we may share statistical, demographic and marketing analyses of readers and their browsing and purchasing patterns to inform advertisers about the nature of our reader base. We will not share personal information with advertisers without your permission.
Partners. We may buy, sell to, or merge or partner with another company. We may share personal and non-personal information with other companies in the course of such transactions.
Others, as required. We may disclose personal and non-personal information if we have a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to comply with the law or with legal process, such as to comply with a subpoena, protect and defend our rights and property, to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our websites, or to protect the personal safety or property of our users or the public.
– For example, we may release personal information to comply with a court order or subpoena.
– If you provide false information or attempt to pose as someone else, we may release personal information as part of any investigation into your actions.
5. HOW DO YOU CHANGE, UPDATE, OR DELETE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Changes to Personal Information: You may review and update your subscription and request your transactions history by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opting Out: If you wish to discontinue receiving any specific email sent by our marketing partners or us, simply follow the unsubscribe options at the bottom of the email. If you wish to opt out of receiving any direct mail or telephone solicitations from Befekadu media, you may notify us by calling 617-866-5144 or emailing email@example.com.
Data Retention: We will retain your information for as long as we provide you with services. We will also retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT ABOUT CHANGES TO THIS POLICY?
7. WHO SHOULD YOU CONTACT IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
General contact information. If you have any questions or comments regarding our information or security practices, you may contact us using the information below:
Phone: 617-866-5144 (between 9:00am and 5:30pm EST)
Fax: 617-866-5144, Attention Privacy
Mail: 40 Warren Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02129 Attention Privacy
Unsubscribe Requests. If you would like to contact us about unsubscribing from our email lists, please email email@example.com and provide all of your email addresses that could appear on our email lists, as well as the name of the newsletter from which you would like to unsubscribe.